Tying ties can be one of the most intimidating parts of getting Fresh that a man can encounter. Especially when it comes to rocking a bowtie. Well over our lifespan we have shown you Moguls plenty of illustrated guides on how to tie one of those things, but it seems to be never enough. So here it is for the umpteenth time…. how to tie a bowtie.
Even though outside old man winter stubborn ass just won’t die, we still must prepare for the spring season. Because when the weather gets nice and the women get fine…., you know the one. After a good season of heavy materials such as wool and corduroy, your Cool is screaming for a switch up in the style. But before you run out there and make a complete ass out of yourself, peep these tips for Moguls.
- Switch up your smell goods. In the winter you probably wore scents that were heavy enough to last through the cold nights. But when the weather breaks we need light fragrances to match the sunshine. Plus people don’t wanna smell you and think of fireplaces and sweaters!
- Go for lighter fabrics such as cotton, linen, hemp and bamboo. Look up that wool and cashmere.
- Think ahead and lightly layer up. You never know how spring weather can change on you, especially in the mid-west. So take advantage of the warm days and cool nights by layering up. Heavy t-shirts under cotton button ups go along way, you can either roll up the sleeves or remove the shirt if the sun starts beaming.
- There is no such thing as manly sandals (mandals). Get a nice pair of canvas or all white sneaks for the streets and flip flops for the beaches. Never should you cop a pair of thong sandals!!!
- Leave the skinny jeans to skinny kids who rap or skateboard. Real men wear real jeans that fit properly around the waist and have room in the pockets for important things such as knots, phones, pocket knives, etc.
- Keep a pair of shades in the car. Mornings that start off cloudy can easily turn into bright sunny evenings. There is no need to be caught squinting while you drive.
Music is an integral part of our society. Nearly everyone is enthusiastic about a particular genre, singer, band, or composer. As an individual you will have your picks, but do you really know how to listen to music? Are you able to appreciate and hear the many wonderful offerings that the world has to offer? When the symphony comes to town, do you buy tickets? When was the last time you saw a musical, or an opera for that matter? Bottom line is…Moguls should be cultured, open minded, and versatile in order to take advantage of all the opportunities life has to offer. The following rule will help you to intellectualize your musical experience a bit, but also add some enjoyment to old favorites you’ve listened to a million times. The rule is simply:
Listen to every voice as if it were an instrument, and listen to every instrument as if it were a voice.
You can enhance this by closing your eyes, purchasing a good set of headphones, and sometimes by just turning up the volume. Now, this may not enhance your journey through 50 Cent’s Greatest Hits…but I guarantee it will shed a new perspective on those old Motown hits that feature full symphony orchestras in the back ground, listening to a song in another language, or trying to digest those old jazz standards that always seemed to put you to sleep. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes. In the meantime…continue Your Mogul Education.
It’s the season to be jolly. And with all of the jolliness going around some of you may want to hit up a party or two that you’ve been invited to. But hold up! Before you get out there and make a complete fool out of yourself, make sure you know how to move in room full of partiers. Follow these fool proof rules you will remain the Mogul that you are with not a stain on your shirt.
- Find The Host - First thing you should do when you walk into the holiday party is find the person who invited you. A simple greet is appropriate here, because be certain that the host will have to talk to people all night. Don’t hog their space.
- Sit Where You’re Suppose To Sit - No need to try to change your seat. Not only will it make you look like you don’t belong. But it will probably piss off a person or four. Respect the fact that you are there and enjoy the conversation.
- Don’t Post Up At The Bar - First off all, other people are waiting to get their sip on also. Secondly, you don’t want to look like Norm all slouched on the bar. Get your drink, tip if suggested and keep it moving.
- Try Not To Get Caught Yawning Or Checking Your Watch - Yeah you may have better things to do, or the party could be the lamest of the year, but don’t look like it is fucked up. Smile a little, talk a little more, and focus on the moment. It will soon pass, trust me. Continue reading
So you wanna rock a tie, but you don’t wanna rock a tie. Well then it sounds like what you need is a pocket square Playboy! The pocket square is the staple of every man’s wardrobe that will NEVER go out of style. Sure right now it is enjoying a comeback of sorts for the masses. But real men understand the pocket square never went anywhere.
See the pocket square can add a little color to any suit or blazer, serving the same purpose as a tie. However, unlike a tie, the pocket square won’t have you feeling all boxed up. Your collar can still be unbuttoned, but with the help of your trusty pocket square you will still be ten steps ahead of the average. And Moguls, we are not average.
Do yourself a solid a cop a pocket square this fall.
- A Mogul never gets so big that he/she can say or do things that make other people feel small.
- A Mogul never lends more money that he/she can afford to loan and never borrows more than he/she can pay back.
- A Mogul always introduces a younger person to an older person.
- If a Mogul is introducing a man and a woman who is essentially the same age, he introduces the man to the woman.
- A Mogul never assumes anybody knows anybody else. Moguls always make introductions.
- Moguls always stand up when being introduced.
- Moguls do not crash parties.
- When entering a crowded room, a Mogul always walks a couple of steps behind a woman.
- Roll the sleeves of your dress shirt past your elbows, and if your aren’t wearing a tie, unbutton one or two top buttons to get some ventilation. If that doesn’t work…..
- Go the bathroom and run your elbows under some cold water for about a minute. If that doesn’t work…..
- Go to the vending machine and purchase a can of soda. Place the can directly on your forehead until the chill overcomes you. If that doesn’t work……
- Look to change your lifestyle habits. Buy shirts with lighter-weight cotton, and try eating less protein on hotter days. If that doesn’t work…….
- Consider calling in on those hot days. You may fool around and pass out due to heat stroke right in front of the cutie you flirted with at the holiday party.
1. Never go for a tray that is not in your zone.
2. Don’t chase a tray around the room.
3. Ladies first.
4. Never take more than one from the same tray.
5. Never take the last on the tray.
6. Never put anything back on the tray.
7. If you don’t know what it is, don’t eat it.
8. If the waiter doesn’t know what it is, don’t eat anything.
Okay UML fam…let’s get down to the nitty-gritty. We didn’t launch this blog solely to focus on pop culture, music, and the shiny things in life. After all, any true Mogul has figured out, or will, that in order to master this lifetime, it will require a balanced being, strong in Mind, Body, and Spirit.Here at UML, this is more than cliche. If you take a moment to reference our title bar, you’ll quickly notice that UML seeks to establish itself as a Lifestyle Brand. For those of you who may need a little more insight as to what that means, here are a few tips on the Fine Art of Living:UML Style
- Have a routine to your life that makes time and space for the important things; big, or small.
- Be driven, but be patient.
- Explore new things, and revisit old things that hold true value.
- Be gentle with yourself, stress will come from everywhere, do you really need to serve as an amplifier for it.
- Know what you believe, and make up your own mind about it. Your opinion is as valid as anybody else’s.
- Be open to LOVE, in all its forms, and from wherever and whomever it comes. It can only make you better.
- Take nothing for granted and be the first to show true appreciation for all positive things that come your way.
- Do everything you can about what you can do something about. Don’t worry about the rest.
- Have positive impact on the people and things you encounter everyday. It will allow you to see the power you have to do good things.
- Be in tune to your true self, and know what you do not know, so that you may continue to learn, and grow.
As you move throughout your day, take minute to make UML a part of it. This isn’t just a blog….it’s a lifestyle.
Marc Jacobs shows us what we shouldn’t wear to a black tie affair. Or any affair for that matter. In fact don’t even look at this on the rack at the store.
We’ve all seen it. A man heads out on the town in his freshly pressed suit. He feels fly…and to the untrained eye..he is fly. The difference between a flash of style, and a life of class…is in the details. A Mogul always pays attention to the details. He makes sure that his tie sports the proper knot, that his pants have the proper break, and his pocket square is properly presented in his jacket pocket. Of course, there are many details to be aware of, but these are just a few that could betray you when attempting to make that all important first…and second impression. Mogul Etiquette 101 is dedicated to highlighting the finer details of being a Mogul. The “How To Fold A Pocket Square(Puff)” tip below doesn’t show the only way to rock a pocket square…but it does show you A way. Pursue your Mogul Education and climb to the top of your game. Enjoy.
As we get older, hopefully our dress code turns into some #GrownAzzMan steez. However as I look around, boys seem to be getting older and older. #GrownAzzLameDudes are walking around with their azz hanging out, not to mention wearing pants so tight that you can see their pulse. So what can a Mogul do to separate himself from the pack?? SUIT UP!!! That’s what you can do. Put on a suit. Not only will you feel good, you will also look good. Ask any woman who is in your vicinity right now and ask them how do they feel about a man in a suit? They will tell you that a man wearing a suit automatically jumps his stock up to 70%. Experiment….. wear your regular degular clothes to a place wear no one knows your name and sit down and have a drink. Now come back the same Mogul day, same Mogul time with a suit on and pay attention to how they treat you differently. A huge improvement.
But I know, I know. Some of you are thinking that you don’t go places to wear suits. If it isn’t church (I hope you are still wearing suits to church), a wedding or a funeral you have no need for it. Oh how wrong are you Moguls. Here is a list of ten places where you can sport a suit and turn the mutha out!!!
- Bars – Don’t know if you know, but a man in a suit gets better treatment than a man in jeans, especially out having drinks. And more so when having those said drinks alone. The bartender will feel like you are someone of importance and the Ciroc on the rocks will be just that much heavier (just make sure you tip them.) Also ladies love men in suits, so don’t be surprised if she walks up to you to have a toast!!
- Restaurants – True story… I went out a few weeks ago to have a nice dinner with some friends. Needless to say I was the only one wearing a suit. So I felt important from the door. And other people noticed my importance also. One older gentleman walked up to me and said “You look like the Chairman of the Board!” My man!
- Airplanes - A suit can go a long way when traveling. You never know, you just might get upgraded to first class. Plus you won’t have to worry about packing it, because it is already on. See how that works?
- Work – Especially if you don’t have to wear one. The workers and your boss will take notice. They will not only know that you mean business, but they will feel that you are looking to get promoted!! (But wait you are, aren’t you?)
- On A Date – Remember the days everyone dressed up? Hell even the Beaver wore dress clothes to go outside and play with Larry. So why can’t you wear one to court the ladies? Wear a suit on your date and I swear your lady friend will look at you like you are the man!!! (But wait, you are the MAN!!)
- Coffee Shop/Cafe – I’m not one to hang out in coffee shops or cafes, but I am willing to bet a blue blazer that it will work there also!! You may even get an extra shot of espresso on the house.
- Shopping – The downside is that the sales-person may think you are Daddy Warbucks, but what the hell. What they don’t know won’t hurt them. But the upside is if you are shopping for suits, you can always compare your new threads to the ones you have on.
- Saturday Drinks – You know the story, weekends are made for chilling and getting pissy drunk. But a Mogul can flip the whole understanding and show up in a suit and have that drink. Ain’t nothing wrong with a live episode of Mad Men is it? Plus those shots come cheaper and thicker when you fool around in a suit.
- Meeting Anyone You Want To Impress – They say the first impression is the lasting impression, why not blow their mind?
- Poker Games – Wearing a suit during a poker game will make you feel like a high-roller sittin at a Vegas table. (But wait you are a high-roller) All you need is a cutie to sit next to you and a glass of that JR Ewing!!!
So suit up Moguls, and You’re Welcome!!!!
Simple as this…. Moguls don’t make sex tapes. Or take naked pictures to email someone for that matter. Moguls understand that nothing good can come from this practice.
I am not much of a dark liquor fan. I can tolerate it, but it definitely isn’t my beverage of choice when I am out and about. If it is up to me, pour me a glass of vodka on the rocks. Good vodka that is. Not the cheap stuff.
Over the years I have learned to respect the powers of Mr. Vodka. He can be enjoyable but oh so cruel if not careful. I have seen him bring a Mogul or two to their knees in the middle of the bar!! Vodka can be called “The Gift and The Curse”. Don’t fall victim to this Russian pleasure. Master your hooch.
- First and foremost if you plan on drinking the night away with vodka, make sure you are working on a full stomach. If not you’re going to need bread and pasta. The carbs will help soak up the alcohol. No need for the room to start spinning on you before midnight!
- Drinking vodka straight is not for the weak at heart. Most people need to mix it with juice or some kind. Don’t be afraid to know your style. If you need a gallon of cranberry for every 2 shots then cranberry away. I guess nothing is wrong with spiked Ocean Spray. But take note on how many you are consuming. These flavored drinks can sneak up on you real quick.
- But if you like yours straight make sure it is on the rocks. Let it sit for a little while, and sip it. The water will help dilute the bitter taste some vodkas give.
- However, you can also try the flavored vodkas. Ciroc Red Berry is a favorite of mine. With that one, you can damn near drink it straight from the bottle!!!! (Don’t try it!!)
- If you insist on taking shots, chase it down with Coke, juice, beer, water or whatever else you can get your hands on. Personally, I am a fan of the vodka and beer combo. A good cold one helps smooth the whole thang out.
- *Tip from our Russian Mogul friends. When you get home take a shot or two of pickle juice. This will eliminate the hangover and allow you to get to work on time in 3 hours!