Mogul Etiquette 101….. The Art of Small Talk
Written by Urban Mogul Life on February 23, 2015
We all have been there at one point or another; being in a situation where you don’t have much to say to a person but you want to pass the time with something other than silence. So what do you talk about?
Religion? Hell no!
The Weather? If you want to look like a lame.
So what’s left?
Ah…… the art of small talk. A skill every Mogul should master.
- Listen more, talk less.
- Talk about the last five minutes of your existence: the shady valet, the huge selection of vodka at the bar, the huge turnout in such terrible weather.
- Never mention the dime piece sitting at the bar- too many unknown variables.
- Ask questions. But not too pointed: don’t ask about the game last night, what if they missed it? Their job is always good topic of conversation. They may get into it so much that you can just sit back and nod your head a little and say “I heard that.”
- Pick a detail and ask them to elaborate a little. “How long have you been married?” “Are you from here?” ” Where did you go to college.”
- Look for shared interest and go from there. This can last until your drink is done, at that point you can say “I’m going to grab another drink, you straight?” Hopefully they’ll say yes, and you can go off to mingle with the next person.
- Always look cool and crack a smile or two.